Debt Talk Progress Has Indexes Up
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures are higher due to reported progress in the latest round of talks to increase the debt ceiling but there were no breakthroughs.
The first quarter U.S. gross domestic product increased 1.3% when up 1.1% was expected, and personal consumption expenditures increased 3.8% when an increase of 3.7% was anticipated.
Jobless claims in the week ended May 20 were 229,000 when 248,000 were predicted.
The April Chicago Federal Reserve national activity index was 0.07, which compared to 0.19 in March.
The 9:00 central time April pending home sales report is predicted to show an increase of 1.1%.
The May Kansas City Federal Reserve manufacturing index will be released at 10:00. In April the index was -10.
Stock index futures have performed well in 2023 despite a variety of bearish news and an ongoing hawkish Federal Reserve.
Higher U.S. Treasury yields continue to support the U.S. dollar.
The German economy was in recession in early 2023. Revised German GDP data revealed gross domestic product fell 0.3% in the first quarter of the year when adjusted for price and calendar effects. This follows a decline of 0.5% in the fourth quarter of 2022. A recession is traditionally defined as two successive quarters of contraction.
In spite of this, it is still anticipated that the European Central Bank will proceed with interest rate increases this year.
The retail sales balance in the U.K., as indicated by the CBI distributive trades survey, declined to -10 in May 2023, which compares to the previous month’s figure of +5. Analysts had anticipated a reading of +10.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
The minutes from the FOMC meeting on May 3 showed policymakers were divided on the need for further interest rate hikes.
Federal Reserve speakers today are Thomas Barkin at 8:50 and Susan Collins at 9:30.
The Treasury will auction 7-year notes today.
Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 68% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged at its June 14 policy meeting, and there is a 32% chance of a 25 basis point increase.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.