Dollar Index Remains Lower
The U.S. dollar index remains near its lowest level since August 15 due to speculation about a possible Federal Reserve policy shift.
The U.S. dollar has underperformed in the last two months as interest rate differential expectations have turned against the greenback.
The annual inflation rate in the U.K. jumped to 11.1% in October of 2022 from 10.1% in September, which is much higher than market forecasts of 10.7%. This is the highest inflation rate since October 1981.
Canada’s annual inflation rate was 6.9% in October of 2022, remaining unchanged from the previous month and in line with market expectations.
Housing starts in Canada decreased by 11% over a month earlier to 267,055 units in October of 2022, which is below market expectations of 270,000 units.
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Retail sales in October increased 1.3% when a 1.0% gain was expected.
Import prices in the U.S. decreased by 0.2% from a month earlier in October of 2022, following a 1.1% decline in the previous month and compared with market expectations of a 0.4% drop.
The 8:15 central time October industrial production report is anticipated to show a 0.2% decline and the 8:15 capacity utilization report is predicted to be 80.4%.
The 9:00 November housing market index is estimated to be 36.
The technical and fundamental aspects are improving for stock index futures.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
The Treasury will auction 20-year bonds.
Federal Reserve speakers today are Michael Barr at 9:00 and Christopher Waller at 1:35.
According to financial futures markets currently, there is an 81.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will increase its fed funds rate by 50 basis points at the December 14 meeting and a 19.0% probability that the rate will be hiked by 75 basis points.
Three weeks ago there was a 98.0% probability of a 75 basis point increase and a 2.0% chance of a 100 basis point hike.
The technicals and fundamentals are looking more constructive for the interest rate market futures.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.