Fed Comments Remain Hawkish
The U.S. dollar index is higher due to hawkish Federal Reserve comments.
However, it appears that the U.S. dollar has topped for now on the belief that that the Federal Reserve may soon tone down its hawkish rhetoric.
The euro zone September services PMI was 48.8 when 48.9 was estimated.
U.K. businesses last month suffered the sharpest contraction in activity since early last year, although the downturn was a little less severe than first estimated.
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures are lower after Federal Reserve speakers offered no clues as to when the central bank will become less hawkish.
Mortgage applications sank 14.2% in the last week of September, which is the biggest drop since April 2020, pushing the index to the lowest level since 1997.
The September Automated Data Processing, Inc. employment report showed an increase of 208,000 when up 200,000 was expected.
The 8:45 central time September services PMI is anticipated to be 49.2.
The 9:00 September Institute for Supply Management services index is predicted to be 56.0.
On Monday futures broke out above major downtrend lines.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
Futures are lower after Federal Reserve Governor Philip Jefferson said reducing inflation was the central bank’s top priority and San Francisco Fed President Mary Daly said officials must “follow through” with interest rate hikes.
These remarks on Tuesday reinforced the message from other officials at the U.S. central bank that interest rates will continue to increase following 75 basis point increases at their last three policy meetings.
Raphael Bostic of the Federal Reserve will speak at 3:00.
According to financial futures markets, there is a 34.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will hike its fed funds rate by 50 basis points and a 66.0% probability that the rate will increase by 75 basis points at the November 2 policy meeting.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.