Fed & Flight to Support Dollar
The U.S. dollar index is higher and hit the highest level since June of 2002. Most of the recent strength is due to the hawkish Federal Reserve, but now there is some flight to quality buying coming in as a result of increased geopolitical concerns.
Between now and the release of the FOMC statement would be a good time to take profits on long U.S. dollar positions.
Interest rate differential expectations remain bullish for the greenback long term.
The Bank of England may hike its main rate by 75 basis points at its policy meeting tomorrow.
The Bank of Japan announced an unscheduled bond-purchase operation as it seeks to limit upward pressure on yields.
The Bank of Japan Governor Haruhiko Kuroda will likely keep the central bank’s main policy unchanged at its meeting on Thursday.
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
The Federal Open Market Committee will conclude its two-day policy meeting today. A statement will be released at 1:00 central time and Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell will hold a press conference at 1:30.
The FOMC will likely increase its fed funds rate by 75 or 100 basis points with financial futures markets predicting a 75 basis point hike is most likely.
The Committee will likely strongly hint at additional fed funds rate increases at the November and December meetings.
The 9:00 central time August existing home sales report is expected to be 4.7 million.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
The Fed is expected to deliver a third consecutive 75 basis point increase today, but some analysts believe it could raise the fed funds rate by a full percentage point.
According to financial futures markets, there is an 82.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will hike its fed funds rate by 75 basis points and an 18.0% probability that the rate will increase by 100 basis points today.
The inverted Treasury yield curve is becoming more inverted and continues to warn of economic risks ahead.
The bearish influence of a hawkish Federal Reserve is overpowering the bullish influence of a weakening economy.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.