Explore Special Offers & White Papers from ADMIS

Fed May Be Even Slower To Cut Rates


Stock index futures are lower as it appears that the Federal Reserve will be slow to pivot to accommodation.

fed reserve

The 9:00 central time February factory orders report is expected to show a 1.0% increase.

The 9:00 February Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTS) is anticipated to be 8.8 million.

The fundamentals are mostly bullish, while the technicals remain supportive to stock index futures.


The U.S. dollar index is lower.

HCOB’s final euro zone manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index was 46.1 in March, which compares to a preliminary estimate of 45.7.

Median consumer expectations for euro area inflation over the next 12 months decreased to 3.1% in February 2024 from 3.3% in January, according to the ECB Consumer Expectations Survey. However, expectations for inflation three years ahead remained unchanged at 2.5%.

The German preliminary March consumer price index increased 0.4% on the month when up  0.6% was estimated.

House prices in the U.K. increased in March at their fastest annual rate since December 2022.

Nationwide Building Society, which is Britain’s second largest mortgage lender, said house prices were 1.6% higher in March from a year ago, increasing from annual growth of 1.2% in February.


Futures are mostly lower as it is appearing more likely that the Federal Reserve will be slow to pivot to accommodation this year.

Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell reiterated on Friday that the central bank was in no hurry to cut interest rates, and that the latest PCE inflation data was in the line with what the Fed wants to see.

Federal Reserve speakers today are Michelle Bowman at 9:10, John Williams at 11:00, Loretta Mester at 11:05 and Mary Daly at 12:30.

Federal Reserve Chairman Powell will speak tomorrow at 11:10 at the Stanford Business, Government, and Society Forum.

Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 2.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will lower its fed funds rate by 25 basis points at the May 1 policy meeting, and there is a 98.0% chance that the Fed will keep rates unchanged.

The consensus view currently is that the FOMC will lower its fed funds rate three times this year starting in June.

My view is that only two cuts are likely this year.

The fundamentals and technicals for futures are bearish on balance.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore Special Offers & White Papers from ADMIS

Get Started