Flight to Safety Moves Markets Again
The U.S. dollar is higher in a flight to quality move.
Industrial production in the euro area increased by 0.7% from a month ago in January 2023, partially recovering from a revised 1.3% decline in December and beating market expectations of 0.4% growth.
The Ifo economic institute said in the first quarter, Germany’s gross domestic product is expected to contract by 0.2%. The economy contracted by 0.4% in the fourth quarter of 2022 compared with the previous three months.
The institute forecast economic output in 2023 will remain at approximately the same level as the previous year, contracting by 0.1%.
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures are lower following weaker European equity markets.
The February producer price index declined 0.1% when an increase of 0.3% was expected.
Retail sales in February were down 0.4% when down 0.3% was anticipated.
The March Empire State Manufacturing index was negative 24.6 when negative 7.7 was predicted.
The 9:00 central time March housing market index is predicted to be 41, and the 9:00 January business inventories report estimated to be unchanged.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
Flight to quality longs are being established again today.
A week ago the Federal Reserve was on track for a 50 basis point hike in its fed funds rate at the March 22 policy meeting. However, there has been a shift in expectations.
Financial futures markets are now suggesting the Federal Open Market Committee will hike its fed funds rate by 25 basis points at its meeting next week, and there is a smaller chance the central bank may make no change to interest rates.
Currently there is a 60% probability the FOMC will hike by 25 basis points and a 40% probability of no change in the fed funds rate.
The technicals and fundamental for the June 30-year Treasury bond futures have become more supportive in the past seven trading sessions.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.