Explore Special Offers & White Papers from ADMIS

FOMC in Focus


The U.S. dollar index is higher today as traders focus on this week’s Federal Open Market Committee meeting. However, once the FOMC meeting is out of the way selling pressure is likely to return to the greenback.

Granite Columns

The euro currency is lower, holding below parity for the third session, despite news that  consumer prices in the euro zone accelerated to a record 10.7% in October, soaring above expectations of 10.2%. The inflation rate was 9.9% in September.

GDP in the euro zone expanded by 0.2% in the third quarter, following  0.7% growth in the second quarter, which is in line with market expectations and at the slowest growth race in six quarters.

The number of mortgage approvals in the U.K. being made to home buyers declined in September, as borrowers’ costs increased. The Bank of England said mortgage approvals for house purchases decreased to 66,800 in September from 74,400 in August.

In a recent survey a majority of economists said they expect the Bank of England  to hike its key interest rate by 75 basis points at the next policy meeting on November 3.


The 8:45 central time October Chicago PMI is expected to be 47.3.

The 9:30 October Dallas Federal Reserve manufacturing index is anticipated to be negative 18.0, which compares to negative 17.2 in September.

Prospects of a less hawkish Federal Reserve later this year have supported stock index futures in recent weeks.

The technicals are becoming more supportive.

The upside for S&P 500 futures may be limited in advance of the November 2 Federal Open Market Committee meeting.


There are no major Federal Reserve speakers scheduled for today.

The central bank imposes a quiet period starting the second Saturday before a Federal Open Market Committee meeting during which officials refrain from commenting on the economy and monetary policy. The Fed refers to this as a “Blackout Period.”

According to financial futures markets currently, there is an 89.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will increase its fed funds rate by 75 basis points at the November 2 policy meeting and an 11.0% probability that the rate will be hiked by 50 basis points.

Just a few weeks ago there was a 2.0% probability of a 100 basis point hike.

Recent moves by other central banks suggest a dovish surprise is possible at the December FOMC policy meeting. The Bank of Canada and Reserve Bank of Australia each increased their benchmark rates by less than economists had expected at their most recent policy meetings. The European Central Bank was also perceived by traders to have been less aggressive.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore Special Offers & White Papers from ADMIS

Get Started