Explore Special Offers & White Papers from ADMIS

FOMC Likely to Hike by 75 Basis Points


Futures are performing well despite the Automated Data Processing, Inc. employment report coming in more than predicted.

The Federal Open Market Committee will conclude its two-day policy meeting today.  A statement will be released at 1:00 P.M. central time and Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell will hold a press conference at 1:30.

federal reserve

According to financial futures markets currently, there is a 90.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will increase its fed funds rate by 75 basis points and a 10.0% probability that the rate will be hiked by 50 basis points.

Just a few weeks ago there was a 98.0% probability of a 75 basis point increase and a 2.0% chance of a 100 basis point hike.


Today is the second day of the two-day Federal Open Market Committee meeting.

The October Automated Data Processing, Inc. employment report showed an increase of 239,000 when a gain of 200,000 was expected.

Mortgage applications in the week ended October 28 were down 0.5%.

Prospects of a less hawkish Federal Reserve later this year have supported stock index futures in recent weeks.

The technicals are becoming more supportive.

Stock index futures are likely to firm once the Federal Open Market Committee statement is out of the way.


The U.S. dollar index is lower despite the bullish Automated Data Processing, Inc. employment number coming in more than predicted, which is a sign of weakness.

The U.S. dollar index probably come under additional selling pressure once the FOMC meeting is out of the way.

The October euro zone manufacturing PMI was 46.4 when 46.6 was anticipated.

The trade surplus in Germany declined to 9 billion euros in September of 2022 from 16.1 billion euros a year earlier.

In a recent survey a majority of economists said they expect the Bank of England  will hike its key interest rate by 75 basis points at its policy meeting tomorrow.

The Japanese yen strengthened as Bank of Japan Governor Haruhiko Kuroda hinted at a possible adjustment in the yield curve control policy, “if the achievement of our 2.0% inflation target comes into sight.”


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.


Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore Special Offers & White Papers from ADMIS

Get Started