FOMC May Hike Rates at June Meeting
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
There are no major Federal Reserve speakers scheduled for today.
Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 42% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will keep its fed funds rate unchanged at its June 14 policy meeting, and there is a 58% chance of a 25 basis point increase.
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures are higher due to reports that an agreement to increase the debt ceiling may be close.
Durable goods orders in April increased 1.1% when a decline of 1.1% was expected.
Personal income in April increased 0.4% as anticipated, and personal consumption expenditures were up 0.8%, which compares to the estimated 0.4% gain.
The 9:00 central time May consumer sentiment index is estimated to be 58.0.
Stock index futures have performed well in 2023 despite the debt ceiling impasse and an ongoing hawkish Federal Reserve.
Although lower today, the U.S. dollar has advanced since early May due to the belief that U.S. interest rates could stay elevated for longer than previously thought.
Retail sales in the U.K. increased by 0.5% from a month earlier in April, partially recovering from a 1.2% decline in March and exceeding market estimates of 0.3% growth.
Retail sales in Australia were unchanged in April from March. Analysts predicted 0.2% growth.
The Tokyo core consumer price index, which excludes fresh food prices, increased by an annualized rate of 3.2% in May. This was lower than expectations for a 3.3% increase.
Interested in more futures markets? Explore our Market Dashboards here.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.