Geopolitics Concern Dominate Financials
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures are lower due to geopolitical risks.
The 9:30 central time November Dallas Federal Reserve manufacturing index is expected to be negative 20.5.
Despite lower prices today, the fundamentals and technicals for stock index futures are improving.
Flight to quality buying supported the U.S. dollar index in the overnight trade. However, prices have turned lower.
In the last two months interest rate differential expectations have turned against the greenback.
Lower prices are likely for the U.S. dollar.
The Confederation of British Industry’s distributive trades survey’s retail sales balance in the U.K. fell 37 points to -19 in November 2022, pointing to a sharp decline in sales.
The Swiss franc is higher and remains near three-month highs as hawkish signs from the Swiss National Bank remain. SNB Chairman Jordan said there is a high probability that the central bank will further tighten policies at the bank’s next decision, as current interest rates are low given the elevated inflation expectations.
Flight to quality buying is supporting the Japanese yen.
Australian retail sales fell for the first time this year in October. Retail sales fell 0.2% in October from the prior month, which compares to expectations for growth of 0.5%.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
Flight to quality buying is supporting futures.
John Williams of the Federal Reserve will speak at 11:00.
A majority of Federal Reserve policymakers have been hinting that soon it will be appropriate to slow the pace of interest rate hikes. Earlier this month, the Fed delivered its fourth straight 75 basis point rate hike and pushed borrowing costs to the highest since 2008.
According to financial futures markets currently, there is a 70.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will increase its fed funds rate by 50 basis points at the December 14 meeting and a 30.0% probability that the rate will be hiked by 75 basis points.
The fundamental and technical aspects have turned more supportive.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.