Indexes Sharply Higher on Unch CPI Report
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures quickly advanced on news that the consumer price index for July was unchanged and on an annualized basis it increased 8.5% when a gain of 8.7% was anticipated.
Mortgage applications edged 0.2% higher in the first week of August, prompted by a 3.5% jump in refinancing while those to purchase a home declined 1.4%.
The August Atlanta Federal Reserve year-over-year business inflation expectations report will be released at 9:00. The July figure was 3.7%.
The 9:00 June wholesale inventories report is estimated to show a 1.9% increase.
The U.S. dollar came under pressure and other currencies advanced when the U.S. consumer price index report was released.
The technical aspects are turning neutral for the U.S. dollar.
The Swiss franc advanced to a four-month high due to a hawkish Swiss National Bank. There is speculation that policymakers are considering a 50 to 75 basis point rate hike at the central bank’s next policy meeting.
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
Futures advanced when the July U.S. consumer price index was released.
The Treasury will auction 10-year notes today.
Charles Evans of the Federal Reserve will speak at 10:00.
The inverted Treasury yield curve continues to flash warnings of economic risks.
According to financial futures markets, there is a 65.5% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will hike its fed funds rate by 50 basis points and a 34.5% probability that the rate will increase by 75 basis points at the September 21 policy meeting.
Any indications that inflation has peaked could be enough for policymakers to ease back on aggressive monetary tightening.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.