Explore Special Offers & White Papers from ADMIS

Indices Continue Decline on Inflation Data


Stock index futures continued to decline following last Friday’s data on inflation. U.S. consumer prices increased 8.6% year-over-year in May, which was the fastest since 1981.

This report forced many analysts to anticipate more aggressive interest rate increases from the Federal Reserve.

The central bank’s latest policy meeting will be held on Tuesday and Wednesday, with the Fed expected to announce at least another 50 basis point increase in its benchmark interest rate on Wednesday afternoon.

Wednesday’s 1:00 p.m. central time policy announcement will be followed by a press conference with Fed Chair Jerome Powell at 1:30.  The Fed will also release its latest summary of economic projections on Wednesday, offering officials’ forecasts for GDP growth, inflation and future rate increases.


The U.S. dollar index is near the highest level since late 2002.

The British pound fell to near a two-year low on news that the U.K. economy shrank 0.3% month-over-month in April of 2022, following a 0.1% contraction in March and missing market expectations of a 0.1% expansion.

That may persuade the Bank of England to move cautiously in fighting inflation. The BoE is expected to deliver a quarter-point rate hike on Thursday.

The possibility of an even wider interest rate differential between the U.S. and Japan pushed the yen down to its weakest since 1998.


Financial futures markets are predicting there is a 63.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will hike its fed funds rate by 50 basis points and an 37.0% probability that the  rate will increase by 75 basis points at the June 15 policy meeting.

It is anticipated that the Fed will raise interest rates by 50 basis points at the July and  September meetings.

Currently the Fed’s focus is clearly on inflation, while a slowing economy will be problem for the Fed to deal with later.  Just on Friday the June consumer sentiment index came in at the lowest level on record.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore Special Offers & White Papers from ADMIS

Get Started