Explore Special Offers & White Papers from ADMIS

Stock Index Futures Hold Up Well


Stock index futures are holding up well despite weaker than expected earnings in the technology sector.

Personal income in September increased 0.4% when a gain of 0.3% was expected and the personal consumption expenditures price index advanced 0.3%, as anticipated.

The employment cost index in the third quarter increased 1.2%, as predicted.

The 9:00 central time October consumer sentiment index is estimated to be 59.7 and the 9:00 September pending home sales index is expected to be down 3.8%.

Prospects of a less hawkish Federal Reserve have supported stock index futures in recent weeks.

The technicals are becoming more supportive.

S&P 500 futures remain higher after the one-day reversal pattern to the upside on October 13.


The U.S. dollar index is higher today. However, prospects of a less hawkish Federal Reserve have undermined the greenback in recent weeks.

The economic sentiment indicator in the euro area fell for an eighth consecutive month to 92.5 in October 2022, which is the lowest level since November 2020.

Germany’s consumer price inflation increased further to 10.4% year-on-year in October 2022, which is a new all-time high and above market expectations of 10.1%.

In a recent survey a majority of economists said they expect the Bank of England  to hike its key interest rate by 75 basis points at the next policy meeting on November 3.

The Japanese yen weakened as the Bank of Japan stuck to its ultra-loose monetary policies Friday, even as the yen comes under pressure from aggressive tightening by the U.S. Federal Reserve and other central banks.


There are no major Federal Reserve speakers scheduled for today.

The central bank imposes a quiet period starting the second Saturday before a Federal Open Market Committee meeting during which officials refrain from commenting on the economy and monetary policy. The Fed refers to this as a “Blackout Period.”

According to financial futures markets currently, there is an 86.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will increase its fed funds rate by 75 basis points at the November 2 policy meeting and a 14.0% probability that the rate will be hiked by 50 basis points.

Just a few weeks ago there was a 2.0% probability of a 100 basis point hike.


Interested in more futures markets?  Explore our Market Dashboards here.

Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.

ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.                  

A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.

© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.

Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone.  Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition.  The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM.  The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared.  The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets.  However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.

Latest News & Market Commentary

Explore Special Offers & White Papers from ADMIS

Get Started