The Fed May Be Less Hawkish
INTEREST RATE MARKET FUTURES
The minutes from the Fed’s November 1-2 policy meeting released Wednesday showed central bank officials believe it would “become appropriate to slow the pace of increase in the target range for the federal funds rate.”
That suggestion reinforced the view that the central bank will hike interest rates by 50 basis points at its next meeting rather than the 75 basis point hike it voted for at each of its past four meetings.
According to financial futures markets currently, there is a 71.0% probability that the Federal Open Market Committee will increase its fed funds rate by 50 basis points at the December 14 meeting and a 29.0% probability that the rate will be hiked by 75 basis points.
Despite lower prices today the fundamental and technical aspects have turned more constructive
STOCK INDEX FUTURES
Stock index futures were higher on Wednesday with some follow-through today after the release of the latest Federal Open Market Committee meeting minutes showed a substantial majority of policymakers agreed it would soon be appropriate to slow the pace of interest rate hikes, while pointing to increased recessionary risks.
The fundamentals and technicals for stock index futures are improving.
The U.S. dollar index declined on Wednesday when the minutes from the most recent Federal Open Market Committee meeting were released, although there is some rebound today.
In the last two months interest rate differential expectations have turned against the greenback.
Lower prices are likely for the greenback today from the currently higher levels.
The German economy grew in the third quarter more than initially estimated. According to a second estimate, Germany’s gross domestic product increased by an adjusted 0.4% from the previous period. Economists had forecast a 0.3% expansion.
The Tokyo core consumer price index increased more than expected to a 40-year high in November.
Risk Warning: Investments in Equities, Contracts for Difference (CFDs) in any instrument, Futures, Options, Derivatives and Foreign Exchange can fluctuate in value. Investors should therefore be aware that they may not realise the initial amount invested and may incur additional liabilities. These investments may be subject to above average financial risk of loss. Investors should consider their financial circumstances, investment experience and if it is appropriate to invest. If necessary, seek independent financial advice.
ADM Investor Services International Limited, registered in England No. 2547805, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority [FRN 148474] and is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Registered office: 3rd Floor, The Minster Building, 21 Mincing Lane, London EC3R 7AG.
A subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland Company.
© 2021 ADM Investor Services International Limited.
Futures and options trading involve significant risk of loss and may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your financial condition. The information and comments contained herein is provided by ADMIS and in no way should be construed to be information provided by ADM. The author of this report did not have a financial interest in any of the contracts discussed in this report at the time the report was prepared. The information provided is designed to assist in your analysis and evaluation of the futures and options markets. However, any decisions you may make to buy, sell or hold a futures or options position on such research are entirely your own and not in any way deemed to be endorsed by or attributed to ADMIS. Copyright ADM Investor Services, Inc.